The Oldcastle Community Resource Group began as an EU funded project called NETBOX which was designed to create a website to be used as a place to share information within our community freely.
This project finished in 2014 but with the support of Meath Partnership it has been taken over by a group of volunteers from the community. It is now known as the Oldcastle Community Resource Group – OCRG.
The OCRG community volunteers give a few hours each week to help in the office, run classes, liaise with the groups in the town to find out what’s going on, update the website, come up with ideas and ways to help our community and many other things.
Our volunteers come from all areas of the community and are of all ages, skills and interests.
We have an office which shares information on clubs, local businesses, organisations, artists and performers, and events within our community.
- To promote a sense of community in Oldcastle
- Be a place where people can find out what’s going on in the local area
- Provide a focus for the community to pull together
- Provide people with the opportunity to participate within their community
- Be a forum for discussion and debate about matters that affect Oldcastle and surrounding areas.
- We provide a computer with free wi-fi and a low-cost printing service for our community
- We run a website called OCRG.wordpress.com
- We help raise funds for good causes. Last year we hosted a HB Ice Cream Funday event to raise funds for Down Syndrome Ireland
- We act as a facility for small groups requiring somewhere to hold meetings
- We offer information and a friendly welcome to newcomers to the town
- We hold classes in Art, Crochet and occasionally host courses in things like Basic Computer Skills
- We have also helped Castle Arts to become established. This group consists of all local artists who make, display and sell their works locally. Some of the members of this group offer art classes in the Cogan street office but can be available to groups on request. They are also happy to take commissions for works.
Do you have a skill or an interest you’d like to share? We want our community to come together on projects and use our facility to share information on clubs, organisations and local businesses.
This will be a huge benefit within our community and together we can achieve wonderful things. If you any ideas, talents or facilities which might help our community to be a better, closer happier and healthier place, then just let us know.
You can drop in to see us at our Cogan Street office, get the latest OCRG news on our HOME page, or check us out on Facebook